For the last few days we’ve been staying with nanny and Geoff. Yesterday we made blue berry muffins and orange butterfly cakes, I tried both, but the butterfly cakes were the best. I thought I’d share the recipe, because they were so delicious. Do try them, they won’t disappoint. The sharp orange curd contrasts with the sweet icing and it makes the perfect match. I’d just like to say thank you to both nanny and Geoff for having us.
ORANGE BUTTERFLY CAKES
100g (4oz) butter
100g (4oz) caster sugar
100g (4oz) self raising flour
1 level tsp baking powder
grated zest 1 orange
3 tbsp orange curd
50g (2oz) softened butter
100g (4oz) icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 c / 160 c fan / gas 4. Line a tin with 12 cupcake cases.
2. Measure all ingredients, except orange curd, into a large bowl and beat untill smooth.
3. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
4. When cooked and cool, cut a disc from the top of each cake leaving a little rim around the edge. Cut the discs in half and set them aside. Fill the holes with orange curd.
5. For the icing, beat butter and icing sugar together until smooth. Spoon or pipe a swirl of icing on top of the orange curd. Then place the two cake halves on, to resemble butterfly wings. Dust with icing sugar and enjoy.
1. Don’t use muffin cases, they’re too big.
2. Pipe the icing, it looks better and more tidy.
3. Don’t cut too shallow a disc or to deep, you’ll have too much or too little curd.